Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Live Urgently...

It’s been more than a week since my last blog post – I’m busy, sooooo very busy.  And I thought about posting about all that I’m doing, everything that keeps me busy and how much I love crawling into bed after a day filled from morning to night with the people and activities that I love, completely exhausted.
I thought about writing just about sleep and why I won’t skimp on it…rest and recovery have become an increasing focus in the lives of a few friends, and by proxy in mine and a focus of my training.
I thought about posting about my recent shopping adventure at REI – and an adventure it was.  It was almost worse than jeans and bikini shopping – only the female readers will be able identify with the emotional trauma sometimes associated with those experiences for even the most fit and self-confident women.  I wanted to cry as I compared the ins and outs of every Patagonia and Arcteryx jacket on the rack.  Ultimately, I am still undecided on several pieces of gear but came away with several options with which I’m comfortable.
None of those ideas inspired me in the moment – or at least not sufficiently to pull me away from whatever was occupying my time.
I thought about writing about life – it’s not fair and while this is something I cognitively know, emotionally I find moments when it's difficult to accept.  A conversation this morning with a friend reminded me that it’s not fair, you can’t change that, so get over it and go forward.  This idea inspired me – but I’m not ready to articulate my thoughts and feelings and the connection to my expedition to Ecuador.
And then I saw this…


…and it spoke to me instantly and left me ready to write.
“Don’t sleep through life.”
Live urgently.  I often have said that I’m taking life by storm right now – that’s almost a euphemism, I’m really in attack mode.  There is nothing passive in how I’m living right now.  Life does not happen to you, it’s not something you simply experience.  Every second is a choice - an opportunity to go on an adventure, to relax with friends over phenomenal food, to enjoy a nap.  I’m having fun, I’m feeling pain, I’m taking on adventures that once struck me as crazy...and through it all, I’m changing my life.  I’m growing.
If you don’t like your job, change it.  If you don’t like your city, move.  If you want to get healthy, do it.  Time waits for no one…life is not endless, time is always running out.  So live urgently.  Hurry to whatever it is that speaks to you and inspires you, motivates you, gives you goosebumps, excites you, scares you, puts butterflies in your tummy.  Whatever it is – do it, and do it now.  Time is always running out and you have no idea how much sand is left in the hourglass.
Live big or live small, but do it all with happiness and direction in your heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara-Katie,

    Love the OR video you posted! I hope your next REI shopping trip is a more enjoyable adventure. :) Please email me at pmottol at REI.com as I'd like to put something in the mail for you.

    Thanks
    Paolo at REI HQ

    ReplyDelete