Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Stop, Sit, Be...


This post was not my intended post – that post was nearing completion when life led my writing in a slightly different direction.  I scratched – or at the very least significantly irritated – my cornea this week.  It’s a repeat occurrence for me, as I also did this when I was eight – I remember being substantially more enthused about wearing an eye patch at that time than I am now.  Aside from serving as a trendy fashion statement that boldly declares “I’m a little bit clumsy and good at getting my hands too close to my eyes,” the patch also brings to light the significance and importance in depth perception (and my recent lack of it).  Driving was, by and large, out for several days.

Home sick from work on Tuesday, I found myself restless.  Aside from the diminishing eye pain and a poor sense of space secondary to the patch I’d find myself wearing for the subsequent days, I felt fine.  I sat on my bed with nothing to do – or rather nothing that I could do and feeling very much out of sorts because of it.  I can recall few other instances in the last several months when I’ve sat in this apartment without the sense of hurried anxiety that there was so much I should be doing.  But in that moment on Tuesday, there was nothing…and after a few minutes, it felt sort of nice.  Actually, really nice.  I looked around my room and enjoyed, after 3 months in this apartment, what very well might have been my first chance to simply be there, to appreciate and simply sit in that space.

My last post was all about living urgently.  And you should – or at least I think a person should.  But in the midst of all that urgency, it’s also important to take pause every once in a great while, to step back, look at your life and appreciate all the living you’ve been able to do and the people that have been helping you do it.  In the last months I’ve often wondered if everything really does happen for a reason.  I have yet to find an answer that I’m sure of, and for right now, maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be…but I do very much believe, and try so very hard to remember, that everything happens with an opportunity to take something from it, an opportunity to walk away with a quiet lesson learned by living.  As much as I very much hope to avoid anymore eye-trauma, perhaps it all came together at just the right time and was a little gift from the universe to me, reminding me to stop and sit and be.

No comments:

Post a Comment