Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The next adventure...RAGNAR TRAIL ZION

A bit of radio silence as of late, but back at it with new energy and excitment today!

I've been busy enjoying the everyday adventures and rhythm of life in DC - but it was only a matter of time before an email that opened with "Hello friends and fellow adventurers..." found its way to my inbox.

The emailed-adventure takes a bit of a twist from the traditional Ragnar Relay, a 200-mile team relay from one city to another, by moving the venue out of city streets and into national parks, bringing together a bit of trail racing, group camping, bonfires and s'mores.  Hmmmm, Ragnar Trail...it was all very enticing.  It was also all in Utah at Zion National Park...appealing, but a good distance away from DC.  And I was already slotted to run a half marathon in just over 2 weeks...was I really up for another runinng adventure!?

Much number crunching followed to consider the finances, timeline, and my vacation leave and on and on.  I had many moments of hesitation, and even a handful of moments when I thought, "This is insane, I don't have time for this, this doesn't make sense, I can't do it!"  This was followed by the realizaiton that has struck me over and over...it will never make sense, the "right time" doesn't exist, and it's never going to work out to be the pefect opportunity.  Life's adventures and opportunities have to be sought out, they don't fall into your lap in perfect packages.   And so, after much indecision, some coaxing from friends, and a few phonecalls home to Mom and Dad VanDenHeuvel (always my go-to in the face of uncertaintity), I was convinced - how could I resist an adventure that pulled together all-night bonfires and s'mores, camping, and a relay race through Zion National Park!?  Besides - my trail running shoes have been collecting dust as of late, time to put them to use!  And did I mention that the Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort, where Ragnar Village will be set-up for camping, has all-night hot-tubs and pools!?  With slides!?  As far as I can tell, I'm going to a camp for grown-ups (who like to run)!

I'll be racing with a relay team of 8 on three trails through Zion National Park.  Our team has experienced runners and Ragnar-veterans...I'm looking forward to their insight for training and can't wait to meet new friends and the adventures ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment