Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Be and Be Better - Justin's Gifts to Us


This week marks one-year's time since the unexpected death of a friend - a dear friend and someone so integrated into my daily routine that even a year later I sense his absence everyday, a person so unique and kind and loved by so many that his friends, scattered around the world, have reached out in the previous 12 months to provide comfort and support and love to each other across continents and oceans, and across prior grievances and pride.

I wish there were words to explain Justin, to do him justice, but there simply are not - I could never do justice to what a kind person he was, his infectious smile and laugh, his loyalty, his honesty, his trustworthiness, his silliness, his charismatic personality, his ability to crack a joke or tease a friend to show that he cared, his incredible sense of adventure, his enthusiasm for life and all that it offers, or the way that this all came together in him.  Justin appealed to everyone, he left everyone he met feeling special.  "He made every group feel like they were the 'best friend' group in his life,” was the accurate assessment made by a friend.

And so with that in mind, it's no surprise that I have tried to start this post more than a dozen times.  I have sat down to collect my thoughts, laid my fingers to the keyboard...but nothing comes, or nothing adequate.
  
Much of the last year has left me sad and uncertain, but I know with every bit of my being that there is good to find here, there are gifts that Justin left us, and I so very much want to make sure they are given the emphasis that they deserve.

In the last year, in the midst of so much sadness and uncertaintity, I have also been filled with gratitude, awestruck to see Justin's friends come together, support each other, take care of friends known only through a connection to him.  In moments of joy and of sorrow, I have looked around rooms filled with friends and become acutely aware that without Justin, I would know so few of the people to whom I am now forever connected – climbing friends, crossfit friends, work friends, friends from eras of Justin's life before I ever knew him, his family.  Justin's death brought me face to face with a kindness and compassion from my own friends and family, spread near and far, that was overwhelming.

After the initial numbness of grief subsided, a dull and constant pain set in, but with time, that pain gave way to a new sense of purpose.  I felt compelled to seek adventures and to find peace where I could, and I have been supported, cheered for and pushed forward by not only my own family and friends, but also by Justin’s.  There is a power in knowing that these people understand this pain and loss and hurt in their hearts.  It can't be explained, they simply know.

One night this winter, Justin’s mom simply noted the truth, "Justin gave you people."  To all of you – to my family, to his family, to friends of Justin I've come to know only in the last year, to friends we shared and those that knew me long before I ever encountered the incredible joy of being Justin's friend - I am forever grateful for your support and love, near and far, in the middle of the night, in the middle of tears, in the middle of endless laughter and in moments filled with pain.

We all miss Justin, but I am grateful for this gift and for so many of you – Justin’s presence in my life has pushed me to do things I never thought I would or could.  The sentiment in the final words of Maya Angelou’s “When Great Trees Fall” has resonated with me with increasing intensity in the previous days and is a poem so many of us will forever connect to Justin…

“…They existed. They existed.

We can be. Be and be

better. For they existed.”

Justin proved to be an unassuming inspiration.  That inspiration remains now in each of you.  There is nothing about this hurting that I like or understand, but I know so very clearly that our mission now is to find peace, move forward with the gifts he gave, and be better.  Because of Justin, and because of all of you, I am a better person today and I will strive to be better, always.

Love to you, JC…we miss you more than you could ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment