Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Adventure Begins...

This will be brief by necessity - consistent internet access is a rare luxury.

The time spent in Ecuador has already proved to be the experience of a lifetime - the mountains are surreal and I have yet to find a picture that does justice to every mountain and landscape, instant friends for a lifetime have been made while finding and giving encouragement and support, and pushing through fears and limitations in our initial one-day summits.

The impact of the altitude is notable in the context of so much physical activity - and yet, standing at 15,500 feet after one the most incredible days of hiking and climbing in my life to this point, I hardly noticed.  I stood higher than any point in the conteninental U.S. - we were above the clouds, birds and planes soared below.

With Pasochoa and Pichincha (both day summits) behind us, and a rest day today, we depart for base camp on Cotopaxi tomorrow.  I have had the support and love of friends and family as I prepared for this trip and I'm thinking of you all with much gratitude for what that support and love have allowed me to do this year, and as always, Justin is on my mind and in my heart.

Love from Ecuador, Sara V.

1 comment: