Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Go Outside and Play!


"Go outside and play!"

If you grew up in the generation of Mario Brothers you’ve likely heard your concerned parents or an angsty babysitter call those words down to the basement or up to your room where you sat fully mesmerized by the bright lights of the videogame before you.

While I was never drawn to video games the way many from my generation were, there is no denying my awareness and enjoyment of them with friends as a child. And there is no denying that as an adult, technology is woven throughout my life.

I am not alone – it is the new norm and we are constantly turning to technology to connect us for work, for entertainment, to keep in touch with family and friends.  We are always connected.  And I am a notable offender – constantly checking my phone while at dinner with my family, while grabbing coffee with friends, while waiting in line at Target.  That is a confession I’d rather not have to make…but anyone that knows me can tell you it's true.

Tonight, I found my inner 8-year-old and took my mom’s advice.  I pulled away from the computer, left my phone at home, and set out with a friend for a stroll around U Street, wandering towards Logan Circle before turning back towards Dupont.  We walked and chatted and grabbed a cup of tea.  And not once did I miss my phone.  But I wonder – if I had tucked it in my pocket before leaving, what might I have missed in conversation and connection with a friend?  We are so attached to our online communities and connections that I suspect we, or at least I, sometimes miss opportunities to connect in a more genuine way.

This week’s forecast is filled with rain – but next time you have the chance, leave your phone at home and enjoy the DC summer with a walk on the Mount Vernon Trail or along the National Mall or through the Arboretum.  Meet a friend for a stroll in Rock Creek Park or through the National Zoo or just around your neighborhood.  It is possible to stay within the city and enjoy a refuge from constant online connections.  I didn’t separate from technology and the “real world” the way I sometimes do when traveling or during my expedition to Ecuador, but even just 30 minutes was enough to connect with a friend on the streets of DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment